Folks,

First up big thanks to everyone who turned up and participated
enthusiastically for the YARN bug bash event. A special shout out to Sunil
for organizing a parallel event in Bangalore, that too on a very short
notice.

It was great to see people from such a wide range of companies (Microsoft,
Hortonworks, Cloudera, Twitter, Huawei, LinkedIn, Yahoo! to name a few)
pull together for a dedicated common cause. The best part was to see
passionate discussions even at the fag end of a (long) day!

Some highlights from the event:

   - We had *22* contributors/committers physically attending in Bay Area
   with more than *10* contributors/committers joining online during the
   day.
   - *Triaged 200+ tickets*:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20YARN%20AND%20labels%20in%20(oct16-easy%2C%20oct16-medium%2C%20oct16-hard)
   - We managed to reduce the patch queue by more than *100*, down from 267
   to below 160:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20YARN%20AND%20status%20%3D%20%22Patch%20Available%22%20ORDER%20BY%20updated%20DESC%2C%20priority%20DESC%2C%20created%20ASC.
   I see the count has increased already today :).
   - *25 JIRAs* *resolved * during the event itself:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20YARN%20AND%20labels%20in%20(oct16-easy%2C%20oct16-medium%2C%20oct16-hard)%20and%20status%20%3D%20Resolved
   - Review feedback and rebasing of many more patches!

 Summary from Bangalore:

*Committed Patches*

*Added/Rebased Patches*

*Total*

*YARN*

15

4

19

*HDFS*

2

5

7

*HADOOP*

0

2

2

Next Steps:

Though it is satisfying to see a noticeable uptick in YARN issue resolution
(
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/YARN/?selectedTab=com.atlassian.jira.jira-projects-plugin:summary-panel),
we need to ensure that we sustain the momentum:

   - Bring JIRAs that were reviewed to a closure.
   - Have more such events at a regular cadence to keep the patch queue at
   manageable levels.

Thanks again to everyone for enabling a successful event through such
active participation.

Cheers,
Subru