Resending with a broader audience, and reattaching the PDFs.

Daniel

On 9/4/17 9:01 AM, Daniel Templeton wrote:
All, in prep for Hadoop 3 beta 1 I've been working on updating the compatibility guidelines on HADOOP-13714.  I think the initial doc is more or less complete, so I'd like to open the discussion up to the broader Hadoop community.

In the new guidelines, I have drawn some lines in the sand regarding compatibility between releases.  In some cases these lines are more restrictive than the current practices.  The intent with the new guidelines is not to limit progress by restricting what goes into a release, but rather to drive release numbering to keep in line with the reality of the code.

Please have a read and provide feedback on the JIRA.  I'm sure there are more than a couple of areas that could be improved.  If you'd rather not read markdown from a diff patch, I've attached PDFs of the two modified docs.

Thanks!
Daniel