On Fri, Feb 2, 2018 at 10:22 AM, Arpit Agarwal <aagar...@hortonworks.com> wrote:
> Do you plan to roll an RC with an uncommitted fix? That isn't the right
> approach.

The fix will be committed to the release branch. We'll vote on the
release, and if it receives a majority of +1 votes then it becomes
3.0.1. That's how the PMC decides how to move forward. In this case,
that will also resolve whether or not it can be committed to trunk.

If this logic is unpersuasive, then we can require a 2/3 majority to
replace the codebase. Either way, the PMC will vote to define the
consensus view when it is not emergent.

> This issue has good visibility and enough discussion.

Yes, it has. We always prefer consensus to voting, but when discussion
reveals that complete consensus is impossible, we still need a way
forward. This is rare, and usually reserved for significant changes
(like merging YARN). Frankly, it's embarrassing to resort to it here,
but here we are.

> If there is a binding veto in effect then the change must be abandoned. Else
> you should be able to proceed with committing. However, 3.0.0 must be called
> out as an abandoned release if we commit it.

This is not accurate. A binding veto from any committer halts
progress, but the PMC sets the direction of the project. That includes
making decisions that are not universally accepted. -C