Hi Hadoop developers,

I would like to propose to merge to trunk the feature branch HDFS-12943 for
Consistent Reads from Standby Node. The feature is intended to scale read
RPC workloads. On large clusters reads comprise 95% of all RPCs to the
NameNode. We should be able to accommodate higher overall RPC workloads (up
to 4x by some estimates) by adding multiple ObserverNodes.

The main functionality has been implemented see sub-tasks of HDFS-12943.
We followed up with the test plan. Testing was done on two independent
clusters (see HDFS-14058 and HDFS-14059) with security enabled.
We ran standard HDFS commands, MR jobs, admin commands including manual
failover.
We know of one cluster running this feature in production.

Since the previous vote we addressed Daryn's concern (see HDFS-13873),
added documentation for the new feature, and fixed a few other jiras.

I attached a unified patch to the umbrella jira for the review.
Please vote on this thread. The vote will run for 7 days until Wed Dec 21.

Thanks,
--Konstantin