Thanks Vinod and Steve, agreed about java7 compile compatibility. At least
for now, we should be able to maintain java7 source compatibility and run
tests on java8. There's a test run here:
https://builds.apache.org/job/hadoop-qbt-branch2-java7-linux-x86-jhung/46/
which calls a java8 specific API, installs both openjdk7/openjdk8 in the
dockerfile, compiles on both versions, and tests on just java8 (via
--multijdkdirs=/usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk-amd64,/usr/lib/jvm/java-8-openjdk-amd64
and --multijdktests=compile). If we eventually decide it's too much of a
pain to maintain java7 source compatibility we can do that at a later point.

Also based on discussion with others in the community at the contributors
meetup this past Wednesday, seems we are generally in favor of testing
against java8. I'll start a vote soon.

Jonathan Hung