Hello all,

I'd like to gauge the community on the usage of lambdas within Hadoop code.
I've been reviewing a lot of patches recently that either add or modify
lambdas and I'm beginning to think that sometimes we, as a community, are
writing lambdas because we can rather than because we should. To me, it
seems that lambdas often decrease the readability of the code, making it
more difficult to understand. I don't personally know a lot about the
performance of lambdas and welcome arguments on behalf of why lambdas
should be used. An additional argument is that lambdas aren't available in
Java 7, and branch-2.10 currently supports Java 7. So any code going back
to branch-2.10 has to be redone upon backporting. Anyway, my main point
here is to encourage us to rethink whether we should be using lambdas in
any given circumstance just because we can.

Eric

p.s. I'm also happy to accept this as my personal "old man yells at cloud"
issue if everyone else thinks lambdas are the greatest