I think consolidating on a common library and tooling for defining API
expectations for Hadoop would be great.

Unfortunately, the Apache Yetus community recently started a discussion around
dropping their maintenance of the audience annotations codebase[1] due to lack
of community interest. In particular, there has been an outstanding problem
with doclet support for filtering javadocs by annotation since JDK9 came out.

I think that means a necessary first step here would be to determine if we have
contributors willing to show up over in that project to get things into a good
state for future JDK adoption.

[1]:
https://s.apache.org/ybdl6
"[DISCUSS] Drop JDK8; audience-annotations" from d...@yetus.apache.org