CapeArgus.gif

 

 

Vavi may submit to COSATU process

 

 

Craig Dodds, Argus, Cape Town, 24 August 2013

 

Johannesburg - COSATU boss Zwelinzima Vavi may yet submit to disciplinary
hearings over the office sex scandal that led to his suspension, despite
vowing last week to fight the move in court.

 

His lawyer, advocate Dup de Bruyn, said on Friday that no final decision had
been taken on whether to take the matter to the Labour Court and the
Commission for Conciliation, Mediation and Arbitration, as Vavi had
indicated he would, or submit to the COSATU process.

 

"We are very carefully considering all options," De Bruyn said.

 

COSATU spokesman Patrick Craven said he couldn't say when the disciplinary
hearings decided on by a special meeting of the federation's central
executive committee would begin.

 

"As you know, we're under strict instructions. This is an internal matter,
we cannot discuss the details," he said.

 

This calls into question whether the process will be concluded in time for
COSATU's next scheduled meeting of the central executive committee in the
middle of next month, when a decision on Vavi's fate was expected to be
made.

 

In the meantime, unions on either side of the rift over Vavi have gone on
the offensive, following accusations by the Vavi-aligned National Union of
Metalworkers of SA (Numsa) that COSATU was "paralysed" by its internal
divisions, and that leaders were putting their political ambitions ahead of
workers.

 

Numsa, which has expressed a vote of no confidence in COSATU president
S'dumo Dlamini, whom Vavi has accused of circulating a bogus intelligence
report designed to smear him, is out on strike in the motor industry and has
reportedly threatened to split from the federation.

 

On the other side of the divide, the National Union of Mineworkers (NUM) has
issued a notice of its intention to begin a strike in the gold and
construction sectors from Monday.

 

The NUM is also fighting a rearguard action against its loss of membership
to rival union the Association of Mineworkers and Construction Union.

 

There are fears that competition among unions will limit the space for
compromise in wage talks and intensify strike action, contributing to a
sharp drop in the rand exchange rate.

 

The Federation of Unions of SA (Fedusa) said on Friday it was "very worried"
about the state of organised labour, and had called for an urgent meeting
between itself, COSATU and the National Council of Trade Unions (Nactu) to
discuss the issue.

 

Fedusa general secretary Dennis George said issues like "inter-union
rivalry, political debacles and sex scandals" were "defacing our movement
and damaging the much-needed work we have to do in our young democracy".

 

He had sent a letter to Dlamini and Nactu president Joseph Maqhekeni asking
for the meeting, adding the trade union federation had not yet received a
response from COSATU or Nactu.

 

Weekend Argus

 

 

From:
http://www.iol.co.za/news/politics/vavi-may-yet-submit-to-cosatu-process-1.1
567531#.UhinSBswfmg

 

 

-- 
-- 
You are subscribed. This footer can help you.
Please POST your comments to [email protected] or reply to this 
message.
You can visit the group WEB SITE at 
http://groups.google.com/group/yclsa-eom-forum for different delivery options, 
pages, files and membership.
To UNSUBSCRIBE, please email [email protected] . You 
don't have to put anything in the "Subject:" field. You don't have to put 
anything in the message part. All you have to do is to send an e-mail to this 
address (repeat): [email protected] .

--- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"YCLSA Discussion Forum" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

<<image002.jpg>>

Reply via email to