Sunday Independent.png

 

 

I understand why people need to be paid; but I was not in fact paid - Alex
Mashilo

 

 

Alex Mashilo, Letters, Sunday Independent, Johannesburg, 6 October 2013

 

YOU[R] LEAD story last week [Sunday 29, 2013] entitled "Unionists cash in on
state entities" refers.

I'm indeed serving in the board of the Manufacturing, Engineering and
Related Services Sector Education and Training Authority (Merseta), and
until September 30, 2013 I was a union official serving as the National
Union of Metalworkers of SA's head of department for organising, campaigns
and collective bargaining.

 

I feel that your article was unfair and inaccurate, in particular in its
treatment of me and I strongly believe it was also unjust to the extent it
left an impression, or suggested that I'm getting paid for serving on the
board of Merseta.

 

I'm not. When I was appointed to the board I elected, in writing, not to be
paid. I have never received a single payment from Merseta, as a result.

 

Had I, too, been contacted, I believe - if the intention was or is to
communicate the truth - the story would have shown me as an example of
someone who elected not to be paid for serving on Seta boards.

 

Similarly, had Merseta been contacted, the story would have been worded
differently about me.

Please note that I'm not expressing an opinion about Seta board fees, but
I'm simply showing you what would otherwise be either the ignored or the
marginalised side of the story.

 

For now, I reserve that opinion save to say that I fully understand why
people who serve on boards have to be paid.

 

On Thursday [3 October 2013] I attended a Merseta board meeting. I will not
be paid for that meeting because of my decision.

 

Alex Mashilo

 

Joburg  

 

-- 
-- 
You are subscribed. This footer can help you.
Please POST your comments to [email protected] or reply to this 
message.
You can visit the group WEB SITE at 
http://groups.google.com/group/yclsa-eom-forum for different delivery options, 
pages, files and membership.
To UNSUBSCRIBE, please email [email protected] . You 
don't have to put anything in the "Subject:" field. You don't have to put 
anything in the message part. All you have to do is to send an e-mail to this 
address (repeat): [email protected] .

--- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"YCLSA Discussion Forum" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

<<image001.jpg>>

Reply via email to