Business Report.jpg

 

 

Medupi site a 'living hell'

 

 

Sechaba ka'Nkosi, Business Report, Johannesburg, 28 April 2015

 

Lephalele, Limpopo - Workers and construction managers at Eskom's Medupi
site claim that they have been subject to a reign of terror, violence and
intimidation over the past three weeks amid a strike marked by xenophobic
demands that have all severely curtailed work.

 

These events also mean that the completion of the new power station in
Limpopo will be delayed even further.

 

Sources at the Medupi site told Business Report that in the past three
weeks, three busses were torched in Lephalale and a bus driver, who was
trying to transport workers to the site, was attacked and ended up in
hospital in a coma. Managers of the construction companies at the site have
been threatened with death for going to work.

 

"We are living in hell, people just go around beating others up and there is
nothing we can do," a manager of one of the companies said.

 

FAR FROM NORMAL

 

"The world thinks everything is peaceful here and we only have a normal
industrial dispute, but things are far from normal. Maybe the authorities
are waiting for someone to die before they take action," the source added.

 

Khulu Phasiwe, an Eskom spokesman, said over the past three weeks there had
only been about 2 000 workers at the Medupi site compared with the normal 14
000 due to the strike and intimidation.

 

"Workers are being intimidated, removed from buses and fear for their
lives," he added.

 

The striking workers have six key demands including that: each worker be
paid a R10 000 bonus for completing the first Medupi unit; foreigners be
removed from the site and be replaced with South Africans; locals should be
given first preference when it comes to recruitment; unskilled and
semi-skilled workers be equipped with skills; and workers receive proper
accommodation.

 

CONSTANT DELAYS

 

Phasiwe expressed concern at the state of Medupi station, which had been
under construction for seven years and was nowhere near completion.

 

Given the public holidays yesterday and Friday, Phasiwe said he did not
expect much work to be done this week and this would mean work at the Medupi
site would have been curtailed for up to four weeks.

 

Medupi, which is constructed by companies such as Mitsubishi South Africa,
Murray & Roberts, Aveng, Basil Read and a group of smaller contractors has
suffered a series of setbacks forcing Eskom to shift its scheduled opening
and to postpone it a number of times.

 

The new power station is expected to have six boilers each powering a 794
megawatts turbine, producing 4 764MW of power when completed. In March,
Eskom announced that Medupi's unit six produced power for the first time.

 

"Within the next three months, South Africa will see Medupi unit six's full
potential of 794MW being fed into the South African national grid,"
suspended chief executive Tshediso Matona had said at the time. But shortly
after that, 3 000 workers went on a wildcat strike demanding the extension
of an accommodation subsidy and an end to dismissals.

 

Construction companies later dismissed 1 700 of the striking workers,
forcing Eskom to intervene and have them rehired.

 

INTIMIDATION

 

A worker at Medupi confirmed that some were scared of going to work even
though they wanted to because of the intimidation. "We have not had anything
to live on since the strike started," said the worker who refused to be
named.

 

"The people who are on strike are few but they are well resourced and armed,
so if you stay with them in the same hostel you know you cannot go against
anything they say."

 

But the National Union of Mineworkers (NUM) said its members had borne the
brunt of the intimidation because they were not part of the unprotected
strike. "There are armed groups going around intimidating people saying they
must not go to work," NUM construction co-ordinator Isaac Ntshangase said.

 

Eskom said construction at Medupi and Kusile was now expected to be
completed by 2021. Acting chief executive Brian Molefe said it was possible
that the date might be reviewed again as a result of the continuing strike.

 

 

From:
http://www.iol.co.za/business/news/medupi-site-a-living-hell-1.1850967#.VT9G
XyGqqko

 

 

 

 

 

 

-- 
-- 
You are subscribed. This footer can help you.
Please POST your comments to [email protected] or reply to this 
message.
You can visit the group WEB SITE at 
http://groups.google.com/group/yclsa-eom-forum for different delivery options, 
pages, files and membership.
To UNSUBSCRIBE, please email [email protected] . You 
don't have to put anything in the "Subject:" field. You don't have to put 
anything in the message part. All you have to do is to send an e-mail to this 
address (repeat): [email protected] .

--- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"YCLSA Discussion Forum" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Reply via email to