Derick Centeno wrote:
On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 16:16:34 +0000
Pat Wall<pjw...@mac.com>  wrote:

Hi Pat,

I appreciate your clarification. ...
Hi Derick

That's very interesting. I just couldn't get the plugin to register by
cp'ing, other than that, no adverse effects. Must be something
peculiar to my setup.

Anyway I think I better stop tinkering now before I break
something ;-)

All the best

Pat
Hi Pat!

As for me, I'll never stop tinkering.

Your experience got me thinking and I decided to backtrack what I did
do as it appears my experience is completely different from what you
and others reported.  Well I did discover what I did, however I didn't
use the copy (cp) command -- I used move (mv) instead.

Here's the actual execution:

[agu...@arakus ~]$ sudo mv ./lib*so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins

Explanation:  I was within the directory where the java plugin existed
which is: /opt/ibm/java-ppc-60/jre/plugin/ppc/ns7.  So the above was
executed from within the ns7 directory.  I found something interesting
which does apply which you can read yourself within YDL 6.2 by doing:

$ info mv

Here's the part which interests me which may be the root of explaining
why my approach (using mv, not cp) works.

Note:
`mv' can move any type of file from one file system to another.
Prior to version `4.0' of the fileutils, `mv' could move only regular
files between file systems.  For example, now `mv' can move an entire
directory hierarchy including special device files from one partition
to another.  It first uses some of the same code that's used by `cp -a'
to copy the requested directories and files, then (assuming the copy
succeeded) it removes the originals. ...

What is interesting is that the *.so remains in the ns7 directory and
mv executed the function implementing "some of the same code used by
"cp -a".  This strategy may have created an unintended side effect; I
noticed that mv did not erase the original location of *.so but
created in fact a link to *.so where it actually resides in the ns7
directory! The reason for this may be the result of how I used mv as
opposed to the way it was designed to be used.  I'll send a query to
the programmers who created mv and present to them the details I'm
omitting here.

Interesting how we began talking about tinkering and here we are.

All the best...
Hi Derick

Tinkering, occasionally breaking and (hopefully) fixing is definitely the best way of learning. My wife is always giving out that the computer never works when she wants to use it as I normally haven't gotten around to the fixing part yet ;-)

What you described with the mv command is certainly intriguing.

Best wishes

Pat