Thanks for the reply, Bill.
It turns out to be a couple of network-related config issues that cropped up only after switching LANs.

The startup delay in most application programs when network is up was due to my /etc/hosts file being empty.
The fix was to add a line: 127.0.0.1 localhost 'hostname'
Where 'hostname' is the name given to the hostname program, minus the quotes.

A related issue was a fifteen second delay in starting ssh that cropped up also when I switched LANs.
The problem is seen with ssh -vvv; The solution here was to use ssh -o GSSAPIAuthentication=no