Hi Quentin,

Thanks for your reply.

On Tue, 4 Feb 2020 at 08:51, Quentin Schulz <
quentin.sch...@streamunlimited.com> wrote:

> Hi Ryan,
>
> On Mon, Feb 03, 2020 at 05:34:23PM +0000, Ryan Harkin wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I'm looking for advice on how to support multiple kernel versions in my
> > distro with minimal changes, and minimal disruption to my users.
> >
> > Some background:
> >
> > I have a legacy Sumo based distro with an image config, and a machine
> > config, with the machine using a 4.9 kernel. Last year, I upgraded
> > everything to Warrior, and moved to a 4.19 kernel.
> >
> > Some of my users who are migrating from Sumo, wish to keep their 4.9
> > kernel. So I'm trying to work out how to handle this in the simplest way.
> >
> > I know that I can add a 4.9 recipes to my Warrior branches, set
> > PREFERRED_VERSION in my distro.conf. But I don't want to change the
> default
> > preferred version globally. And I don't really want users to update the
> > distro.conf. Ideally, they should be able to take what I give them and
> > "just" build it to get a 4.9 or 4.19 variant.
> >

> You can make two machine configuration files. One with
> PREFERRED_VERSION_virtual/kernel = "4.9%" and the other with 4.19.
>
> They pick the correct machine when building, they should expect the
> correct kernel in output. Only applies to images built for this machine
> so I guess that's what you're looking for?

Yes, this works.

Trying it showed a few small problems. Eg. I have a package that only builds
for the 4.19 kernel, and needs to be excluded for 4.9. That's something I
can
handle in the recipes using the machine type, of course.

> > Ideally, I don't want to *have* to build both kernels and then create two
> > images. I expect that will cause confusion and lead to people flashing
> the
> > wrong images. So I'd prefer it to be either/or. Of course, I have to test
> > all of this, so I want to be able to build both variants in CI, which
> makes
> > editing distro.conf even more  unattractive.
> >

> Same image (POV of bitbake <image>) but different machines, does that
> match your requirements?
>
> FWIW, you can pass MACHINE= to the command line just before bitbake
> <image> making it rather obvious which machine they pick.

Incidentally, that didn't work for me, but that's a symptom of how we setup
the environment, where local.conf sets MACHINE. I changed it to "MACHINE ?=
",
thinking it would let me override it via the shell. But it didn't. Strange,
but not a
big problem.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has a different approach I could
try for
comparison.

Thanks,
Ryan.