Hi Alexander,

Based on your andĀ Oliver Westermann's help, I came up with something that works
for our project requirements:

My application bitbake file looks like this:

EXTERNALSRC =
"${@os.path.abspath(os.path.join(os.path.dirname(d.getVar('FILE')), '..', '..',
'src'))}"
inherit externalsrc

S = "${EXTERNALSRC}"
inherit cmake

externalsrc.bb expects EXTERNALSRC to contain an absolute path. We have a
relocatable workspace based on a git tree with submodules, so I calculate the
absolute path of the source based on the bb file location. Our src directory is
a cmake project, so I only have to convince cmake to use the EXTERNALSRC
location for an out-of-tree build in WORKDIR by setting S.

The workflow for our project developers then becomes:

bitbake -c cleansstate <application-name> && bitbake ...

I can hide this in a wrapper Makefile.

Am I missing anything?

Regards,
Pieter Smith