On Mon, Apr 13, 2020 at 10:20 AM nus1998 <nus1...@yeah.net> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I googled some topics on how to patch a recipe, most of them recommend to
> generate a corresponding <foo>.bbappend to apply the patch, I wonder if
> there is already a bbappend file, shall I modify the bbappend file
> directly, or create another layer to overwrite the bbappend file (and
> including the patchs in original bbappend file)?

A good rule of thumb is to never modify a metadata that is not yours. That
applies to everything:
* if you need to modify a bb file from a 3rd party library, create a
bbappend file in your layer
* if you need to modify a bbappend from a 3rd party, then create another
bbappend in your layer

And by 3rd party i mean any layer/tree which is not yours (OE-core, or any
other layer your are using).