On Sun, 2020-04-26 at 08:24 +0900, Hao Qian wrote:
> Hi, Richard
>
> Thanks for replying.
>
> Yes, it makes sense why patches not be applied by using wildcard.
>
> Just for confirmation, it looks like more than one person made it to
> use wildcard for patching as below:
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/41266742/adding-multiple-patches-to-src-uri-in-a-recipe-yocto
>
> As you said, wildcard is not supported for patches in SRC_URI.
> So, do you mean the answers and replies in above issue of
> stackoverflow are wrong?
> Or did I miss something?

The patch linked to from there:

https://patchwork.openembedded.org/patch/8443/

gives some clues about when it might happen to work:

"Wildcards in SRC_URI are not supported by oe-core and work only
when last (or first?) FILESPATH element points to the containing
directory"

So it sounds like it can work in some cases but isn't something we
really support or encourage. I'd also note that information is 9 years
old.

Cheers,

Richard