On Sun, 2020-07-05 at 15:24 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> Quoting Ross Burton <r...@burtonini.com>:
>
> > On Sun, 5 Jul 2020 at 11:50, Robert P. J. Day <rpj...@crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> > >    however, one can also generate a standard SDK with the generic
> > > (image-independent):
> > >
> > >    $ bitbake meta-toolchain
> > >
> > > which clearly does not identify an image (all that recipe does,
> > > really, is "inherit populate_sdk"), so i *guessed* that using that
> > > command will generate a standard SDK based only on what can be found
> > > in the various .conf files and associated variables (MACHINE, DISTRO,
> > > etc.) without being tied to a particular image.
> > >
> > >    just about to dive into the details, but is the above at least a
> > > simplistic way of looking at it?
> >
> > At the most fundamental level, you've asked bitbake to build
> > 'meta-toolchain'.  Looking in meta-toolchain.bb will show you what
> > that entails.  It's basically just the compilers and a few other tools
> > that were added as needed over the years.
>
>    i'd assumed as much, but is there a reason that the meta-toolchain target
> is not mentioned at all in the SDK manual? Would that not be the right
> place to mention it, even briefly?

meta-toolchain is really old, from the days before the populate_sdk
task for images existed. It was created as a compatibility artefact and
as an example to show you could do standalone SDKs like that without
images.

I'd imagine its not mentioned as we envisaged the populate_sdk tasks
taking over from meta-toolchain. I'm not even sure we test meta-
toolchain on the autobuilder. It probably continues to work as its so
similar to buildtools-tarball and friends.

Should it be mentioned? Maybe...

Cheers,

Richard