On Sat, 1 Aug 2020 at 14:42, Ryan Harkin <ryan.har...@linaro.org> wrote:

> Hi Sumit,
>
> On Sat, 1 Aug 2020, 07:51 Sumit Garg, <sumit.g...@linaro.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Ryan,
>>
>> On Fri, 31 Jul 2020 at 21:05, Ryan Harkin <ryan.har...@linaro.org> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > I'm migrating from Warrior to Dunfell and I'm getting a curious build
>> > failure in gcc-sanitizers.
>> >
>> > Here's the full gory detail:
>> >     https://pastebin.ubuntu.com/p/nh4cDKMvgS/
>> >
>> > However, the main error is this:

>> > ../../../../../../../../../work-shared/gcc-arm-8.3-r2019.03/git/libsanitizer/sanitizer_common/sanitizer_platform_limits_posix.cc:193:
>> > |
>> > ../../../../../../../../../work-shared/gcc-arm-8.3-r2019.03/git/libsanitizer/sanitizer_common/sanitizer_internal_defs.h:317:72:
>> >  error: size of array 'assertion_failed__1152' is negative
>> >
>> > I have no idea where to begin with this. I don't even know why
>> > gcc-sanitizers is included in the build, what it does, or why I need it.
>> > I'm building an image with dev packages and gcc, so I guess that's why.
>> >
>> > I've hacked meta-arm to patch sanitizer_platform_limits_posix.cc to null
>> > out the macros and that builds fine. I'm sure it won't work, should
>> > someone want to use it, mind you.
>> >
>> > Is there something obvious that I should be doing as part of a Warrior ->
>> > Dunfell migration to get this to work?
>>
>> I would suggest you to switch to GCC 9.2 Arm toolchain for Dunfell.
>> RPB does the same [1].
>

> I can do that, I have no reason to use 8.3 other than it's the default. Is my
> problem a known issue with 8.3, or is moving to 9.2 a general suggestion?

AFAIK, as upstream OE switches to a newer GCC version, it stops
supporting older GCC versions. And since we are building here Arm
toolchain from source and rely on OE core recipes, so it is possible
that build could fail while trying to build an old toolchain version
using latest OE core recipes.

So the general recommendation is to keep the Arm toolchain version as
close to the OE core to avoid any possible build failures.

-Sumit