On Mon, 2020-08-03 at 09:56 +0100, Paul Barker wrote:
> I'd like to get the meta-kernel layer mirrored on
> git.yoctoproject.org
> so that we've got a backup available in case of any issues with
> GitLab. This has been requested by one of our users
> (https://gitlab.com/openembedded/community/meta-kernel/-/issues/11).
> also think it's important now that meta-arm-bsp and a few other
> layers
> depend on meta-kernel.
>
> I can enable an automatic push from GitLab whenever the repository is
> updated so all we would need on git.yoctoproject.org is a meta-kernel
> repository and push access from the relevant SSH keys.

I've had to think carefully about this and I think we can only say no.

The reason is the namespacing. This is taking a special namespace and
its doing it by stealth, not a conscious decision. If we do this, its
going to create confusion for users and also create friction with other
Yocto Project components.

This was warned about when "meta-kernel" was started and now its coming
back to bite us :(.

I suspect this is something which will you'll want to appeal against
and I should therefore refer it to the YP TSC?

Cheers,

Richard