On 27/01/2021 06:33, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>   since it appears that i will be diving head-first into messing with
> ruby in some current YP builds, is there any interest in creating a
> meta-rubygems layer to start collecting recipes based on what konrad
> weihmann has done in his meta-sca layer here?
>
>   https://github.com/priv-kweihmann/meta-sca
>
>   i've been swapping emails with konrad over the last few days and,
> first, it seems clear that it's not appropriate to start dumping
> general ruby recipes into meta-sca as that layer is clearly defined as
> being for "static code analysis and security hardening", so a new,
> more general layer is obviously more appropriate.
>
>   also, konrad focuses on using his own "rubygems.bbclass" class file:
>
> https://github.com/priv-kweihmann/meta-sca/blob/master/classes/rubygems.bbclass
>
> to define recipes that pull from rubygems.org exclusively, and he
> agrees that it would keep things simpler to stick with that model;
> hence, the proposal of the layer name "meta-rubygems" and not just
> "meta-ruby".
>
>   konrad already offered to do the maintenance of such a new layer, as
> long as there is standard infrastructure support for testing, that
> sort of thing. and i'm sure that would make his meta-sca layer simpler
> as all the more generic rubygems-based recipes could be moved into the
> meta-rubygems layer, leaving his meta-sca layer to focus exclusively
> on the code analysis and security recipes, however he wants to do
> that.
>
>   thoughts? it seems that a new layer could be populated almost
> instantly with a large chunk of meta-sca, and we could take it from
> there.
>
> rday

Hi Robert,

This is something I would be interested in. I have a developed a much
more basic rubygems class privately which I had intended to opensource
and create a similar later, so it would be nice to have a central place
to contribute Ruby/RubyGems improvements. As you have found there are
many layers with spotty Ruby support and a particular copy of an old
class that is being banded about which is often insufficient.

Regards,
Jack.

--
Jack Mitchell, Consultant