Hi,

On Tue, Feb 02, 2021 at 03:38:34AM -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>   while the "standard" way to disable a systemd service from
> auto-booting is SYSTEMD_AUTO_ENABLE, i just ran across a number of
> examples in an existing project that do this:
>
>   SYSTEMD_SERVICE_${PN} = ""
>
> ouch. that's a new one on me and, while i'm prepared to believe it
> works, it seems like grotesque overkill and mis-application of that
> variable.
>
>   am i within my rights to suggest that that's not really the way to
> do it? or is that considered an acceptable (albeit weird) alternative?

We do SYSTEMD_SERVICE_${PN} = "" a lot but reasons are a lot more complex.

To properly tune target system boot, one really needs to fork most systemd
service
files. This is needed to set cgroups, permissons, to change service and/or
target dependencies e.g. additional or intermediate boot targets.

Thus one ends up forking most of the service files. For some subset, it's enough
to patch them, but for most it's easier to just fork even the ones that come
from systemd.
Additionally a lot of testing and logging infra needs to be added to make sure
boot is
clean and happens the way developers designed and meets the KPIs like boot time.

These are tricky to maintain and so company/industry/product/version specific
that
it's tricky to upstream the changes.

Cheers,

-Mikko