Good evening,

I am using Yocto Gatesgarth, and I was just updating a layer that was
written for Dunfell. In the `conf/layer.conf`, I can simply add
"gatesgarth" to `LAYERSERIES_COMPAT_pocketbeagle`, like so:

```
LAYERSERIES_COMPAT_pocketbeagle = "dunfell gatesgarth"
```

However, this does not seem to work for a `.bbappend`. Let me use this
particular layer as an example: it is a BSP that defines
`linux-yocto_4.19.bbappend` for Dunfell. In my case, I want to define
`linux-yocto_5.4.bbappend` for Gatesgarth. When building with Dunfell, I
would like it to use the former, and when building with Gatesgarth, I would
like it to use the latter.

However, if I keep both `linux-yocto_4.19.bbappend`
and `linux-yocto_5.4.bbappend` and try to build with Gatesgarth, it fails
with:

```
ERROR: No recipes in default available for:
  /path/to/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-yocto_4.19.bbappend
```

Which makes sense: Gatesgarth does not provide `linux-yocto_4.19`.

Is there a way to keep both `*.bbappend` and have Yocto ignore the ones
that do not correspond to its version? Or would that be bad practice anyway?

Best Regards,
Jonas