Using '_make nconfig_' I selected the following options:
(_Keep in mind I using an Altera/Intel Arria 10 SoC which uses
DesignWare hard SPI controllers. BUT the SPI controllers I'm concerned
with now are soft controllers defined in the FPGA code)_.
                    .config - Linux/arm 5.4.74 Kernel Configuration
┌── SPI support
─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
│ --- SPI support │ [*] Debug support for SPI drivers │ -*- SPI memory extension
│                                  *** SPI Master Controller Drivers
***                                                             │
│ <M> Altera SPI Controller ...
│                            <*>   Utilities for Bitbanging SPI masters
                                                            │
│ < > Cadence SPI controller │ < > CLPS711X host SPI controller
│                            <*>   DesignWare SPI controller core
support                                                            │
│                            <*>     PCI interface driver for DW SPI
core                                                            │
│                            <*>     Memory-mapped io interface driver
for DW SPI core                                               │

... │ *** SPI Protocol Masters *** │ <M> User mode SPI device driver support │ <M> spi loopback test framework support
│                            < >   Infineon TLE62X0 (for power
switching)                                                            │
│ [*] SPI slave protocol handlers
│                            <M>     SPI slave handler reporting boot
up time                                                        │
│                            <M>     SPI slave handler controlling
system state                                                      │

This got the SPI nodes to show up in _/sys/firmware/devicetree/_ but
there were no _udev_ files (_/dev/spidevXX_). So I commented out the
'_interrupts_' in the DTSI file and the _udev_ files appeared?
spi2: spi@0xc00c0800 { // hps_spi_1553_int
address-cells = <0x1>; #size-cells = <0x0>; reg = <0xc00c0800 0x20>; // interrupt-parent = <&intc>; // interrupts = <0 24 IRQ_TYPE_EDGE_FALLING>; num-cs = <0x1>; status = "okay"; spidev@0 { compatible = "rohm,dh2228fv"; #address-cells = <0x1>; #size-cells = <0x0>; reg = <0x0>; spi-max-frequency = <0x1f400>; // enable-dma = <0x1>; }; };