On 2021-06-12 12:31 p.m., Ferry Toth wrote:
Hi

Op 10-06-2021 om 22:35 schreef Ferry Toth:
Hi,

On 2021-06-10 5:22 a.m., Ferry Toth wrote:

**[Please note: This e-mail is from an EXTERNAL e-mail address]

Hi Trevor,

Gmane is really messing things up here, sorry about that. I need to create a new thread I'm afraid.

I'd like to your reworked patch.

But note, I reworked it too (but maybe wrongly). I builds like 90% of my image, but fails building cmake-native. Or more accurately it fails do_configure while trying to build a small test program.

Hi,

I've pushed the patch onto my fork of the poky repo at https://github.com/threexc/poky

Let me know how your testing turns out - I am still running tests as well, but it would be good to know how others' attempts turn out, and more changes could still end up being necessary.

Your patch didn't apply clean on Gatesgarth, but fix seemd trivial. With this it builds cmake-native fine, thanks!

You can find it here: https://github.com/htot/meta-intel-edison/commit/8abce2f6f752407c7b2831dabf37cc358ce55bc7

I will check if any other build errors occurs, and if not will try to time image build with and without the patch to compare performance and see if it worth the effort.

It works fine. To measure time I first built https://github.com/htot/meta-intel-edison (gatesgarth), so everything needed is downloaded and cached. Then prior to each run I `rm -rf out` and `rm -rf bbcache/sstate-cache/*` to force everything to rebuild. And then `time bitbake -k edison-image`

With patch:
real    218m12,686s
user    0m24,058s
sys     0m4,379s

Without:
real    219m36,944s
user    0m24,770s
sys     0m4,266s

Strange, I expected more.

Hi Ferry,

Thanks for the update.

Trevor and I saw similar (lack of ) results.

Trevor even trying getting kea, which uses 'make' to be done the
'configure' stage, for two builds in differect dirs. Then to run the two
   'bitbake -c compile kea'
with and with out the patch with the expectation that with the
job server patch and the right number of jobs, the two builds would
take longer. I don't know the exact timing but there was no
noticeable difference.

We did strace things to confirm that the make wrapper was being called
and the actual make was being called by the wrapper. I suspect that
the next thing we try will be to patch 'make' to log when the jobserver
kicks in or to play with some make jobserver demo such as:
   https://github.com/olsner/jobclient
to get some experience with how things are supposed to work and
to be able to strace a successful use of the job server feature.

A little RTFM / UTSL may also be required.

../Randy

This is on 4 core/8ht i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz with 16Gb RAM and nodejs restricted to -j 2 (so that alone takes ~ 60min to build).

- Trevor

Ferry