On Mon, Jun 14, 2021 at 07:58:19AM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>   starting to think about a new laptop that will, among other things,
> do lots of OE/YP builds, and i'll start with this as the basis for a
> few questions about hard drives:
>
> https://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/gaming-laptops/g15-ryzen-edition-gaming-laptop/spd/g-series-15-5515-laptop/ng155515_sb_ps25e
>
> while an SSD would be delightful, i'm concerned about how doing
> frequent 40-50G builds would wear out an SSD. so i was considering
> looking for something with a fast regular HD for the actual build
> directories, but room to put in an M.2 NVMe that would hold fairly
> static content, like the OS itself, all the layers, a local source
> mirror and so on.
>
> am i overthinking this? anyone have a laptop setup that is smokin'
> fast (yeah, 8 core AMD ryzen :-),

When using a laptop with only 16 GB RAM to build with 8 or 16 threads,
on what drive will the heavily used large swap partition be?

gcc loves to use > 2 GB RAM for non-trivial C++ code,
with 16 threads I'd recommend 64 GB RAM.

> and a dual drive layout that seems
> to work well with lots and lots of OE builds?

Ask for the specs of the SSD and do the math.

E.g. 150 TBW / 50 GB/build = 3000 builds

If you are building from scratch so often that the resulting number
is a worry, I'd rather buy 128 GB RAM and use a tmpfs instead of
creating a spinning rust bottleneck.

> rday

cu
Adrian