On Fri, Jun 25, 2021 at 4:43 AM Richard Purdie <
richard.pur...@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

> In summary, I see a lot of problems for what amounts to not much speed
> gain. Particularly when we have a mechanism like sstate available
> which allows binary reuse.

Very strong agreement here. My 2c is that Yocto/OE should be going in that
direction even
further. One of the significant benefits of the OE build method is
eliminating, to the greatest
extent possible, the (usually) undetectable influence of variations in the
host platforms.

Any given distro is probably stable enough, but that does not guarantee a
consistent result if
we attempted to build the same image on all available stable distros. We
might get lucky and
actually achieve that, but I would not bet my life on it, particularly if
we started using even more
native tooling.

"Stability is a local construct, not a global one."

For our own project, we have taken this as far as practical. We eliminated
the third party
distro host platform (Ubuntu) about five years ago and built our host
platform from Yocto/OE
sources. Each new version of our host platform is built from the previous
one.

..Ch:W..

--
*"Perfection must be reached by degrees; she requires the slow hand of
time." - Voltaire*