Hi Bruce,

To be honest, I am not quite sure where to ask this, as it is a very specific
scenario, so feel free to forward me and my question to someone/somewhere else.

Situation:

  *   Yocto Hardknott running meta-virtualization, meta-raspberrypi with Docker
installed: Dockers works fine and is tested. Docker exec and attach works too
  *   Now changed the rootfs to be squashfs, and an overlay of root + a RW ext4
partition is changed to be / at boot. This script is based on:
https://github.com/cmhe/meta-readonly-rootfs-overlay
  *   Docker's overlay2 file driver does not work on top of an overlay:
https://docs.docker.com/storage/storagedriver/select-storage-driver/
  *   Solution: create /etc/docker/daemon.json with the line in it:
"data-root"="/docker-data". Note: /docker-data is a separate EXT4 partition on
the SD card.
  *   Restart machine/dockerd. The result is that we see the /docker-data is
now full of docker files and the containers and overlay2 folders are there.
Docker info shows: Storage driver: overlay2
Containers run fine. Hello-world example runs. Alpine runs, and when starting
Alpine with -it arguments I can mess around in shell all I want, everything
works.
  *   Problem: Whenever I create a container, for example: docker run -d -t
-name=test alpine, and later try to exec into it using "docker exec test echo
hello" I get this result:
Error running exec: OCI-runtime exec failed: exec failed:
container_linux.go:367"starting container process caused: read init-p:
connection reset by peer: unknown
  *   I restarted dockerd with -log-level=debug and noticed that it says:
attach: stderr: begin, stream copy error: reading from a closed fifo. (Same for
stdout)

I removed the overlaying again and can confirm that exec and attach also worked
before adding this, but on Google I can not find a single thing that closely
relates to the issue I am facing.

Hope any of you might be able to help me out here, I feel truly stuck on this.

Kind regards,
Léon van de Beek