On Thu, Apr 28, 2022 at 5:39 AM Jupiter <jupiter....@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Bruce,
>
> Thanks for your response.
>
> > You can't suppress the kernel's config step, it is always going to
> > run. You can't just copy over .config and have the kernel build.
>
> If the OE build kernel config step can be disabled to compile kernel
> using customer defconfig, that will make users life much easier to
> disable unwanted kernel drivers and features.

This has nothing to do with OE, that's what the kernel would do
no matter how you build it.

> The customer defconfig can be certainly generated from bitbake -c
> menuconfig, but honestly, the kernel configure selection is not easier
> to understand, we have to use defconfig to disable unwanted the
> configures and tested it, inadvertently disable some configures could
> cause kernel panic regardless if the OE build system config step is
> running or not.

There's a reason why kernel-yocto (and other frameworks) provide
things like configuration fragments, kernel types, etc, This is a well
explored topic. Check out my (and others) presentations about this
throughout the years of yocto summits, etc. They can all be found
online in various formats.

> I have searched the internet, it is not just me, there are many others
> who requested to run customer defconfig without OE build kernel config
> step.

It can already do that, just as I described in my previous response.
The defconfig is copied in, and then the kernel *will* run its configuration
process over it, not OE's, the kernel.

> Are you a contributor in the OE dev team? Are there any reasons why
> the OE dev team won't consider this feature?

See above,

Bruce

--
- Thou shalt not follow the NULL pointer, for chaos and madness await
thee at its end