On Mon, 7 Nov 2022 at 03:19, Ron Eggler <ron.egg...@mistywest.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, 6 Nov 2022 at 18:36, Mistyron <ron.egg...@mistywest.com> wrote:
> >> I'll attempt to "just drop" meta-gplv2, then. However I see that there are
> >> other dependencies on readline too, i.e. it might be easier to just
> >> replace the existing 5.2 version in meta-gplv2 with 8.2 from here:
> >> https://git.yoctoproject.org/poky/plain/meta/recipes-core/readline/
> > No. You cannot 'just replace' it, as they are under different
> > licenses, and meta-gplv2 specifically collects versions under gpl
> > version 2 only.
> https://www.gnu.org/licenses/rms-why-gplv3.en.html specifies:
>
> "When we say that GPLv2 and GPLv3 are incompatible, it means there is no
> legal way to combine code under GPLv2 with code under GPLv3 in a single
> program." - What is a single program though? Readline would still be a
> single program within the bitbake build, would it not? I'm not
> "stealing" nor editing its code but compile it as is.

Combining gpl2 and gpl3 is not an issue here. The issue is that if you
ship gpl3 items to users as a part of some product, you have an
obligation to allow them to change those items and install the changes
on the product. This is why meta-gplv2 was created: it effectively
reverts everything that is nowadays gpl3 licensed to older versions
which are still under gpl2.

Single program is commonly interpreted as a runtime process with its
own virtual address space. E.g. all linked libraries, even 3rd party
ones, are a part of the single program.

Alex