Hello,

How do you create a patch for Linux kernel configuration in a customized layer
on top of an initial patch. It is a patch based on the original defconfig from
vendor meta layer? I tried different ways, but none of them work.

The initial .bbappend is like this. I would like to make further changes on top
of that.

SRCREV = "0086da6acd41600d47b87b05874f99704216426f"

FILESEXTRAPATHS:prepend := "${THISDIR}/${PN}:"

SRC_URI += "\
file://devtool-fragment.cfg \
"

1. use devtool to modify the current kernel configuration
After using devtool menuconfig to modify the kernel configuration, the .config
is updated.
But, here is a big BUT, after using devtool build to build kernel image, the
kernel image is still built using the defconfig originally from the vendor meta
layer meta-raspberrypi.
If using devtool update-recipe to create a patch any way, then do devtool reset
and use bitbake to build the kernel image, the result is the same (the kernel
image uses original defconfig).

2. use git format-patch to create a patch file and then add the patch file into
.bbappend.
Say, a patch 0001-update-kernel-config-to-enable-uart-console.patch is added
into files folder.
Then add one line in .bbappend file like this:
SRCREV = "0086da6acd41600d47b87b05874f99704216426f"

FILESEXTRAPATHS:prepend := "${THISDIR}/${PN}:"

SRC_URI += "\
file://devtool-fragment.cfg \
file://0001-update-kernel-config-to-enable-uart-console.patch \
"
But this way, the patch couldn't be applied at all. An error is caused.

3. Tried to use git to create a patch in different folder
Most of tries got the same result.
One of them seems applied. But from the result, it is actually not applied.

So, which way should work? Anything missing in what I did.

Thanks for your help!

Crane