Hi all,

I am trying to to generate an image with PREEMPT_RT kernel for an
intel-corei7-64 target machine.
I see that the meta-intel layer already has a couple of recipes for that in
recipes-rt/images/core-image-rt.bb and core-image-rt-sdk.bb, so I add this
layer.
I choose core-image-rt-sdk.bb since I would like to have the development tools
too.
In my local.conf I set
PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/kernel = "linux-intel-rt"
as requested by meta-intel/recipes-rt/images/core-image-rt-sdk.bb, and also
MACHINE ?= "intel-corei7-64"
After several hours of bitbake core-image-rt-sdk , I get a
core-image-rt-sdk-intel-corei7-64.rootfs.wic with which I can boot my machine,
where uname .-r says 6-1-59-rt16-intel-pk-preempt-rt.
Everything looks fine up to here.

Now I am trying to add a new layer of mine, where I will put some stuff I need
on the target machine. For the moment, I only have a "hello world" program
there, just to check.
So I have meta-mytest/conf/layer.conf with:

BBPATH .= ":${LAYERDIR}"
BBFILES += "${LAYERDIR}/recipes-*/*/*.bb \
${LAYERDIR}/recipes-*/*/*.bbappend"
BBFILE_COLLECTIONS += "mytest"
BBFILE_PATTERN_mytest = "^${LAYERDIR}/"
BBFILE_PRIORITY_mytest = "6"
LAYERDEPENDS_mytest = "intel"
LAYERSERIES_COMPAT_mytest = "nanbield"

and meta-mytest/recipes-mytest/images/mytest-image.bb with:

require recipes-rt/images/core-image-rt-sdk.bb
DESCRIPTION="Just a test"
IMAGE_INSTALL += "simple-local"

where simple-local is the hello world program, having its own recipe.

When I try bitbake mytest-image I get

ERROR: Nothing PROVIDES 'mytest-image'
mytest-image was skipped: Set PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/kernel to
linux-yocto-rt to enable it

If I understand, the problem is that there are two overlayed recipes,
poky/meta/recipes-rt/images/core-image-rt-sdk.bb and
meta-intel/recipes-rt/images/core-image-rt-sdk.bb , and bitbake is giving
preference to the first one, requiring linux-yocto-rt as the PREFERRED_PROVIDER
(the second one requires linux-intel-rt instead)

I also changed the priority of the meta-intel layer from 5 to 6, but to no
effect.

Could somebody be so kind as to tell me what am I missing here?

Thank you in advance and best regards

--
Daniele Lugli
General Logic srl