On Fri, Feb 23, 2024 at 12:15 PM Konstantin Aladyshev
<aladyshe...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Should I see the new git version in the linux-yocto devshell?
> """
> bitbake linux-yocto -c devshell
> """
>
> I've tried to check it in the current poky master, and it gives me:
> """
> $/data/poky/build/workspace/sources/linux-yocto# git --version
> git version 2.30.2
> $/data/poky/build/workspace/sources/linux-yocto# which git
> /data/poky/scripts/git
> """
> So in this case host git is used. "bitbake kern-tools-native -c
> devshell" gives the same result.
> Can this be considered as a proof that git-native is not used?

It is likely ASSUME_PROVIDED that is causing the issue, git-native is
in there, which means it is going to use the host version and not
build our -native recipe for it.

We'll need some guidance from Richard on this, because the use of that
flag in the git operations is in fact required for security reasons,
so it isn't going to be optional. If that means we need a minimum git
version or to use our own built one (and possibly the buildtools
tarball, etc), then those are the hoops we'll have to jump through.

When I pulled git-native out of ASSUME_PROVIDED locally, I ended up in
a dependency loop.

I can have a closer look at this again on Monday, but i'm out of time
for it today.

Bruce

Bruce