On Wed, 2024-05-08 at 13:59 +0200, Sebastian Schuberth via
lists.yoctoproject.org wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> to start with a disclaimer, I'm a total noob when it comes to Open
> Embedded / Embedded Linux / Yocto / BitBake stuff. That said, I'm in
> need of creating SPDX documents for Yocto projects in the context of
> [1]. I'm already quite far in that I work with Poky and
> programmatically run something like
>
> bitbake -r /home/sebastian/Development/GitHub/doubleopen-
> project/ort/plugins/package-
> managers/bitbake/src/main/resources/spdx.conf -c create_spdx xmlto
>
> However, I continuously run into various build problems on my Fedora
> 40 machine (one of which has been recently addressed by [2]), let
> alone the time it takes to build something from scratch, even
> something as small as e.g. the "xmlto" target. So, ideally, I would
> be able to create SPDX documents without really building any binaries
> at all. I probably want all the source download and patching to
> happen, in order to archive the patched code that goes into the
> binaries, but skip the actual compiler / linker invocations to save
> time, and just create the SPDX documents.
>
> Is something like this already possible somehow, maybe by setting
> from compiler / linker variables to fake scripts that just do
> nothing?

The SPDX generated information includes information about the generated
binaries, the dependencies between them and also traces license headers
used by a given binary through the binary debug information.

Whilst it is true you could generate a simpler SPDX document without
compiling anything, that isn't how our SPDX generation currently works,
it includes a lot more information and some of that is from the
binaries.

You could create a different simpler spdx like class that could do what
you describe but that isn't what we have today. We went for the version
with all the information.

Cheers,

Richard