On Wed, 2024-05-08 at 12:37 -0700, bibibobibo via lists.yoctoproject.org wrote:
> I have a dummy question regarding the file://DIRECTORY/ in recipe
> usage, we are using this mechanism to directly point at a source
> repository with potentially lots of subfolders, etc. Does bitbake
> track file://DIRECTORY tracks all contents accordingly (i.e something
> will recursively walk through this directory and checksum each file,
> then arrive at a final combined checksum?) and if we happen to repo-
> sync or git-pull to pull new changes in DIRECTORY/, Yocto will be
> able to detect any changes in this directory and automatically
> rebuild this recipe.
>
> I was getting mixed answers from a few sources, some said this can
> work, some said it works sometimes but not always. So I would like to
> get a definitive answer from Yocto forum.

It is meant to work. There have been some bugs in this area in the
past, I believe they have been fixed. It also doesn't perform well with
large trees of files from a speed perspective.

Something like git allows for much faster operations as git is designed
to do tracking of this kind of thing.

So yes, it should work but isn't optimal with really large trees.

Cheers,

Richard