On 12 Jun 2024, at 11:44, Kaiwan N Billimoria via lists.yoctoproject.org
<kaiwan.billimoria=gmail....@lists.yoctoproject.org> wrote:

> Hello all!
>
> I have a newbie question regarding creating a recipe for C code, where
> the project already has a custom Makefile -which of course must be
> used for the build.
> From what I recall, the recipe doesn't have to do anything special;
> bitbake will pick up the Makefile and do the 'make'...
>
> However, when experimenting with a v simple 'hello, world' C program
> and Makefile, I find that am unable to get a 'debug build'
> helloworld_dbg binary executable - it simply seems to use the default
> $(CFLAGS) value and I can't seem to influence it, via the recipe or
> the Makefile??

Your helloworld_dbg target uses CFLAGS_DBG but I don’t see that defined
anywhere.

What’s your actual intention here?  If helloworld_dbg should be unstripped,
then the idiom is to _always_ build unstripped binaries (which is why CFLAGS
has -g in) and at packaging time bitbake will extract the debug symbols and put
them into the -dbg package.

Ross