From: Khem Raj <raj.k...@gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, August 14, 2024 3:25 PM
To: yocto@lists.yoctoproject.org; Monsees, Steven C (US)
<steven.mons...@baesystems.us>
Subject: Re: [yocto] Parallel builds under yocto

External Email Alert

This email has been sent from an account outside of the BAE Systems network.

Please treat the email with caution, especially if you are requested to click
on a link, decrypt/open an attachment, or enable macros.  For further
information on how to spot phishing, access “Cybersecurity OneSpace Page” and
report phishing by clicking the button “Report Phishing” on the Outlook toolbar.

On Wed, Aug 14, 2024 at 12:15 PM Monsees, Steven C (US) via
lists.yoctoproject.org <steven.monsees=baesystems...@lists.yoctoproject.org>
wrote:

> Hello:
>
> I am looking for some clarity with regards too parallel builds under
> Yocto…
>
> I think I had a false assumption on setting PARALEL_MAKE…
>
> To increase thread usage: You add following to your local.conf inside the
> build/conf directory. Replace x and y with your wanted configuration.
>
> PARALLEL_MAKE = "-j x"
>

> BB_NUMBER_THREADS = "y"
>

> Is the following true ?
>

> PARALLEL_MAKE defines how many threads should be used/dedicated when using
> make -j command during do_compile.

seems correct.

> BB_NUMBER_THREADS defines number of threads dedicated for bitbake.

It means how many jobs/tasks can bitbake spawn in parallel, its higher order
than parallel make.

> I set up like so:
>

> There are 12 cores my board
>

> Yocto supporters say threads should be 2 times the number of cores, but don’t
> go above 20…, or just the number cores, also under 20… depending on what you
> read.
>

> They also say, increasing PARALLEL_MAKE to higher values, increases your
> chance for a race condition.
>

> Is the following true ?
>

> PARALLEL_MAKE = "-j x"  # For do_compile
>

> BB_NUMBER_THREADS = "y"  # For bitbake
>

> PARALLEL_MAKEINST = "-j x"  # For do_install
>

> If so, does this mean for 12 cores:
>

> BB_NUMBER_THREADS="8", will this dedicate 8 cores just for bitbake to use ?

No, it will not reserve 8 cores, rather it tells bitbake to launch 8 task
executions in parallel if bitbake deems them not dependent upon each other,
e.g. every recipe has several tasks during build do_confgure, do_compile,
do_install etc. and there are several recipes in build queue, then bitbake's
task manager can find out non-dependent tasks and execute them in parallel, now
be aware that in some cases it could be executing 8 tasks which could be all
do_compile tasks for different recipes, in this case your parallelism will
become -j 8*8 systemwide.