Hi All,

I am aware of the multilib feature that yocto provides allowing one to
compile an entire userspace in 32bit mode but with a 64bit kernel by
prefixing the lib32- before the image name as in lib32-core-image minimal.

* What are the disadvantages of doing such a thing ? My company is trying
to do a phased migration from 32 bit to 64 bit and we just want to update
the kernel first to 64bit and retain the userspace in its original 32 bit
form. How will the kernel understand 32bit structures on a 64bit kernel
when we make ioctl calls into the dev nodes ? what about mmap ? and orther
core connectivity related things like Bluetooth and WiFi. Will they
continue to function as is or will they also need to migrated to 64bit ? I
cant seem to wrap my head around how core system services can operate in
32bit mode on a 64bit kernel given issues like:

https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-general-1/64-bit-mmap-in-32-bit-userspace-4175640060/

what such issues lurk hidden is the fear for not doing this migration.

* How do I get both the 64bit and 32 bit libstdc++ into the image ? adding
lib64-libstdc++ into IMAGE_INSTALL is giving error in the image creation
phase using debian packing system stating it cannot find lib64-libc6, what
gives here ? This seems to be a side effect of the debian.bbclass except I
cannot wrap my head around how the package names are translated.

Anyone here have the prior exp of migrating components from 32 to 64 can
share their approach and strategy for such a migration ?

Thank you,
Keerthivasan Raghavan