On Fri, 2010-11-19 at 10:42 +0100, Frans Meulenbroeks wrote:
> 2010/11/19 Tian, Kevin <kevin.t...@intel.com>:

git mv does not preserve history. Some of git's tools can detect renames
though (e.g. git diff -M).

> Wrt commit size: I agree that the commit size is bigger.
> If you want to minimize this you should maximize what goes into the inc.
> Personally when it comes to choosing between readability, cleanness
> etc and commit size, I go for the former.

The .inc files are kept around as it mirrors what is in OpenEmbedded.
We'll continue to do that until we work out what out relationship is
going to be there. I understand moving to a single .bb file would make
things more logical but it would remove any ability to diff files with
OE easily.

> > There's one case we actually suggest not using .inc for multiple versions:
> > both GPLv2 and GPLv3 exist for one package. That way we can avoid potential
> > contamination as much as possible.
>
> If you want to avoid contamination as much as possible I would suggest
> creating two different folders. They are two different beasts that you
> want to maintain separately.
>
> The same also holds if you want to keep two versions because they are
> e.g. functionwise very different.
> Sometimes this is already done (at least in OE, there we have e.g
> libsigc++-1.2 and libsigc++-2.0 and apache and apache2 directories,
> also sometimes there are differently named recipes (different PN) in
> the same folder, e.g. bluez and bluez4)

Having them in the same directory doesn't cause any complications and
using the same names means that creation of a GPLv3 image is much
simpler which is why we didn't rename the recipes.

Cheers,

Richard