On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 2:36 PM,  <michael_e_br...@dell.com> wrote:

> I'm presently working on porting the build environment for three existing
> embedded projects over to use yocto. Unfortunately, the project which has to
> go first is based on an SH4 chip, which isn't on the officially supported
> yocto architecture list. I gave the compile a go, and ran into a build error
> in gcc-cross-intermediate:
>
> build-edison-sh4/tmp/sysroots/i686-linux/usr/bin/sh4-poky-linux/sh4-poky-linux-ld:
>  cannot find crti.o: No such file or directory
> build-edison-sh4/tmp/sysroots/i686-linux/usr/bin/sh4-poky-linux/sh4-poky-linux-ld:
>  cannot find -lc
> build-edison-sh4/tmp/sysroots/i686-linux/usr/bin/sh4-poky-linux/sh4-poky-linux-ld:
>  cannot find crtn.o: No such file or directory
>
> Trying to figure out the source of this build error, I found that base
> openembedded does compile this package successfully, so I started focusing on
> the differences. I narrowed the build failure down to this line in
> gcc-cross4.inc, which is present in openembedded, but absent in yocto/poky:
>    gcc-cross4.inc
>    EXTRA_OECONF_append_sh4 = " --with-multilib-list=
> --enable-incomplete-targets "
>
> After I added this one line, I was able to sucessfully build a base yocto
> image for qemu sh4. Is it possible to get this added to the upstream yocto
> build?

there is much more than just building toolchain. You need to make sure
that kernel is configured properly too and last time I remember doing
it in oe.dev I needed some patches on vanilla
kernel that may have changed now. I think adding SH4 to meta-oe can be
considered if you post
patches for that layer. Then the question remains where the remaining
machine support goes. It can be a new layer for secondary qemu
architectures.