On 03/01/2012 02:45 PM, Darren Hart wrote:
On 03/01/2012 02:26 PM, Hollis Blanchard wrote:
The g_ether kernel module, in the kernel-module-g-ether package, allows
targets to use a USB connection as a network interface. However, that's
not useful until the module is loaded.

The usbinit package provides the /etc/init.d/usb-gether script to load
the g_ether module at boot, so it should be included along with
kernel-module-g-ether.
So if the g-ether kernel module is built-in to the kernel, the
kernel-module-g-ether will not be installed (as it's RRECOMMENDS). The
usbinit package still will be (unless for some reason it can't be built
for the target).

I assume this doesn't pose a problem?

Well, hmm, I don't know. The usb-gether script is not very intelligent, so I suppose that would result in yet another boot time error message. Perhaps testing the result of 'modinfo g_ether' in the script would be a good follow-up patch?

Hollis Blanchard
Mentor Graphics, Embedded Systems Division