On 03/09/2012 08:43 AM, Bruce Ashfield wrote:
On 12-03-09 07:20 AM, David Nyström wrote:
Hi All,

Whats yoctos take on LTSI ?

http://git.linuxfoundation.org/?p=ltsi-kernel.git;a=summary
http://lwn.net/Articles/484337/

I've noticed that LTT-ng and other kernel patches are independently
ported and maintained by the yocto project.
Are there any plans for yocto to have ltsi-kernel patches as upstream ?

We'll be syncing up with the ltsi kernel parts over the summer.
But yes, LTSI will be one of the sources used for yocto kernel trees.

Cheers,

Bruce

I just finished reviewing the slides for LTSI given at ELC: (https://events.linuxfoundation.org/images/stories/pdf/lf_elc12_shibata.pdf).

Why does the Linux Foundation need to get behind yet another effort to maintain a kernel repository for embedded? It seems that many of the objectives are the same for the two projects regarding the kernel. Why not just branch a yearly Yocto kernel as long-term stable and add the support methodology outlined in the LTSI slides to this branch? Perhaps this could also be done with the Poky repo?

How is a developer supposed to view Yocto and LTSI? The former is cutting edge, developer friendly with all the bells & whistles, and experimental but use the latter for production??? Or maybe use the tools and rootfs from Yocto but the kernel from LTSI?

It seems Greg K-H of LTSI should join forces with Yocto and keep things simple & unified for us embedded developers (or Yocto should dump maintaining its own kernel repos and just draw from LTSI).

Bob