On 12-08-30 01:06 AM, Saxena, Rahul wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: yocto-boun...@yoctoproject.org [mailto:yocto-boun...@yoctoproject.org] On
Behalf Of Bodke, Kishore K
Sent: Wednesday, August 29, 2012 11:08 AM
To: Bruce Ashfield; Hart, Darren
Cc: yocto@yoctoproject.org
Subject: Re: [yocto] Poky 1.3_M3 branch does not work with linux-yocto 3.0
kernel ?

-----Original Message-----
From: yocto-boun...@yoctoproject.org [mailto:yocto-
boun...@yoctoproject.org] On Behalf Of Bruce Ashfield
Sent: Wednesday, August 29, 2012 10:47 AM
To: Hart, Darren
Cc: yocto@yoctoproject.org
Subject: Re: [yocto] Poky 1.3_M3 branch does not work with linux-yocto
3.0 kernel ?

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 3:34 PM, Darren Hart<darren.h...@intel.com>  wrote:
On 08/27/2012 08:18 PM, Bruce Ashfield wrote:
On 12-08-27 8:14 PM, Saxena, Rahul wrote:
Hi,

I am building a BSP (meta-cedartrail) using 1.3 M3 branch of Poky.

When I try to boot a image such as core-image-sato, I get kernel
panic and errors such as:

VFS: Cannot open root device "ram0" or unkown-block(0,0)

Please append a correct "root=" boot option; here are the available

partitions:

VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknown block(0,0)

User configuration error - no valid rootfilesystem found

I do see that the root file system exists in
cedartrail-poky-linux/core-image-sato-1.0-r0/rootfs dir..

I did not see this problem when I uses a earlier commit of the Poky
master branch.

It seems like something broke with 1.3 M3 branch that prevents a
proper build with 3.0 kernel. I do need to build my BSP with 3.0 kernel.

(I was also told by Laurentiu Serban that 1.3 M3 Full Pass testing
does not include testing with the 3.0 kernel)

Any suggestions would be most welcome. I do need to build my BSP
with the 3.0 kernel.

Hmm. It should work, I booted one not that long ago. Can you force
qemux86 to prefer the 3.0 kernel and see if that boots ? That would
at least start to isolate the potential problem areas.

However, won't 3.0 be removed for the 1.3 release? Keeping with 3.4
and
3.2?

For 1.3 the 3 kernel sliding window plan was 3.4, 3.2 and 3.0 with
2.6.37 being voted off the island. Or did you mean 1.4 ? Regardless,
anything using 3.0 needs to be updated since it's time is running
short! :)

Cedartrail BSP has PVR Graphics drivers which works only with 3.0 Kernel.

Thanks
Kishore.

I am mainly interested in ensuring 3.0 Kernel works with the next Yocto release
(i.e. Yocto 1.3)
since the CedarTrail BSP will work only with 3.0 Kernel due to a graphics
driver dependency.

And that's all definitely fine. If we are having boot problems with the
board on the kernel that it tags, then opening a defect so we can look into
it is fine, since it is a supported kernel.

Bruce

We will not port the Cedartrail BSP beyond Yocto 1.3.

Thanks
Rahul

Cheers,

Bruce