On 24 Sep 2012, at 10:16, Tarek El-Sherbiny wrote:

> I'm using the MM soc i.MX6 from freescale. My application doesn't require a
> full fledged desktop GUI so I'm basing my work on minimal image. The
> application needs to play video "Possibly full screen" using gstreamer and
> just draw some buttons over the video for control using SDL.

I've no experience with that platform, but...

> I have included libsdl - libsdl-image - libx11 and this is what was installed:
> root@imx6qsabrelite:~# rpm -qa |grep sdl
> libsdl-1.2-0-1.2.15-r0.armv7a
> libsdl-image-1.2-0-1.2.10-r3.armv7a
>
> root@imx6qsabrelite:~# rpm -qa |grep libx
> libxau6-1.0.7-r0.armv7a
> libxdmcp6-1.1.1-r0.armv7a
> libxml2-2.7.8-r7.armv7a
> libxcb1-1.8.1-r0.armv7a
> libx11-6-1.4.4-r3.armv7a
> libxext6-1.3.1-r0.armv7a
> libx11-xcb1-1.4.4-r3.armv7a
> libxfixes3-5.0-r0.armv7a
> libxrender1-0.9.7-r0.armv7a
> libxi6-1.4.5-r0.armv7a
> libxxf86vm1-1.1.2-r0.armv7a
> libxdamage1-1.1.3-r1.armv7a
> libxtst6-1.2.1-r0.armv7a
>
> I still get the same error message so I'm not sure what else I need to do to
> tell SDL to use HDMI video output?

Do you also need to have an X server to use Xlib?

> If it easer to use DirectFB rather than libx11 I can do that. Is it only
> directfb that I need to include? Is there any configuration parameters that I
> need to enable?

If you don't need a full GUI then DirectFB will certainly do the job. All I did
to get this going was:

1) Add libsdl as a dependency;
2) Add the following to local.conf to pull in DirectFB and build libsdl to use
it:
     DISTRO_FEATURES += " directfb"

> Thanks in advance.
>
> On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 9:09 PM, Chris Tapp <opensou...@keylevel.com> wrote:
> On 23 Sep 2012, at 20:07, Tarek El-Sherbiny wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm porting a program which uses SDL to openembedded Yocto-project. I have
> > included libsdl to my image but SDL is failling to initialize
> > SDL_Init(SDL_INIT_VIDEO) gives:
> >  No available video device
> >
> > What are the packages that I need to install to get SDL video device?
>
> What graphics do you have available? I've got it working ok using DirectFB
> and X11 should be ok as well.
>
> Chris Tapp
>
> opensou...@keylevel.com
> www.keylevel.com