On 13-01-22 9:26 PM, Patrick Turley wrote:
On Jan 22, 2013, at 2:34 PM, Bruce Ashfield<bruce.ashfi...@windriver.com>
wrote:
On 13-01-22 03:28 PM, Patrick Turley wrote:
One problem I ran into … When I tried to execute "make scripts," I got a whole bunch of
config questions that I *think* should have been answered with a .config file or something. Should
I have copied out the .config file from the kernel work directory into the SDK installation before
I ran that? Is that the "best" way to get around all the questions?

Interesting. I haven't seen this myself, so just a couple of quick
questions:

  - without the .config, did you still get a working set of hostprogs, and
    only had to suffer the warnings ?

  - If the answer is yes, then the .config really doesn't matter for this
    and the approach of grabbing a .config should work fine or even
    having a dummy defconfig available with enough to keep the build
    happy.

Definitely sounds like something we can address and it's worth putting into
bugzilla so it doesn't get lost.

Below, please find a transcript of the commands I executed.

You'll see that I installed the SDK, tried to "make scripts," and then got
attacked with a storm of config questions. I cut off the transcript at the second
question, but there are dozens that follow.

There *is* a .config file in the SDK directory, and it is identical to the one
in our kernel build directory:

/home/pturley/yocto-mpu-build/tmp/work/dm8148_mpu-poky-linux-gnueabi/linux-ti81xx-psp-2.6.37-r0+spawnlabs+r0/git

Unfortunately, I'm still something of a n00b when it comes to building the
kernel. I suspect *most* of these questions are irrelevant to hostprogs, but I
can't say that *all* of them are.

If I just hold down the "Enter" key, I believe all the defaults are taken, and
I eventually *do* get hostprogs that execute, but I don't know if they're appropriate to
my kernel. (Again, I'm a n00b, so perhaps there's no effect at all.)

This will be fine, the defaults will work. The kernel build infrastructure
is picking up what it thinks is a change source -> to config and trying
to reconcile the differences.

If you throw in a 'make oldconfig' before you do the 'make scripts', does
that quiet things down a bit ?

Cheers,

Bruce

--------------------

$ pwd
/home/pturley/yocto-mpu-build/tmp/deploy/sdk

$ ls
poky-eglibc-x86_64-arm-toolchain-1.3.sh

$ sudo ./poky-eglibc-x86_64-arm-toolchain-1.3.sh
Enter target directory for SDK (default: /opt/poky/1.3):
You are about to install the SDK to "/opt/poky/1.3". Proceed[Y/n]?
Extracting SDK...done
Setting it up...done
SDK has been successfully set up and is ready to be used.

$ cd /opt/poky/1.3/sysroots/dm8148_mpu-poky-linux-gnueabi/usr/src/kernel

$ ls -a
.              firmware           lib             scripts
..             fs                 MAINTAINERS     security
arch           include            Makefile        sound
block          init               mm              System.map-2.6.37
.config        ipc                Module.symvers  tools
COPYING        Kbuild             net             uImage
CREDITS        Kconfig            patches         usr
crypto         kernel             README          virt
Documentation  kernel-abiversion  REPORTING-BUGS
drivers        kernel-image-name  samples

$ sudo make scripts
   HOSTCC  scripts/basic/fixdep
   HOSTCC  scripts/basic/docproc
   HOSTCC  scripts/kconfig/conf.o
   HOSTCC  scripts/kconfig/kxgettext.o
   SHIPPED scripts/kconfig/zconf.tab.c
   SHIPPED scripts/kconfig/lex.zconf.c
   SHIPPED scripts/kconfig/zconf.hash.c
   HOSTCC  scripts/kconfig/zconf.tab.o
   HOSTLD  scripts/kconfig/conf
scripts/kconfig/conf --silentoldconfig Kconfig
*
* Restart config...
*
*
* General setup
*
Prompt for development and/or incomplete code/drivers (EXPERIMENTAL) [Y/n/?] y
Cross-compiler tool prefix (CROSS_COMPILE) []
Local version - append to kernel release (LOCALVERSION) []
Automatically append version information to the version string
(LOCALVERSION_AUTO) [N/y/?] n
Kernel compression mode
1. Gzip (KERNEL_GZIP)
   2. Bzip2 (KERNEL_BZIP2) (NEW)
   3. LZMA (KERNEL_LZMA)
   4. LZO (KERNEL_LZO)
choice[1-4?]:
Support for paging of anonymous memory (swap) (SWAP) [N/y/?] n
System V IPC (SYSVIPC) [Y/n/?] y
POSIX Message Queues (POSIX_MQUEUE) [Y/n/?] y
BSD Process Accounting (BSD_PROCESS_ACCT) [Y/n/?] y
   BSD Process Accounting version 3 file format (BSD_PROCESS_ACCT_V3) [Y/n/?] y
Export task/process statistics through netlink (EXPERIMENTAL) (TASKSTATS)
[Y/n/?] y
   Enable per-task delay accounting (EXPERIMENTAL) (TASK_DELAY_ACCT) [Y/n/?] y
   Enable extended accounting over taskstats (EXPERIMENTAL) (TASK_XACCT)
[Y/n/?] y
     Enable per-task storage I/O accounting (EXPERIMENTAL) (TASK_IO_ACCOUNTING)
[Y/n/?] y
Auditing support (AUDIT) [N/y/?] n
Kernel .config support (IKCONFIG) [Y/n/m/?] y
   Enable access to .config through /proc/config.gz (IKCONFIG_PROC) [Y/n/?] y
Kernel log buffer size (16 =>  64KB, 17 =>  128KB) (LOG_BUF_SHIFT) [17] 17
enable deprecated sysfs features to support old userspace tools
(SYSFS_DEPRECATED) [N/y/?] n
Kernel->user space relay support (formerly relayfs) (RELAY) [N/y/?] n
Initial RAM filesystem and RAM disk (initramfs/initrd) support (BLK_DEV_INITRD)
[Y/n/?] y
   Initramfs source file(s) (INITRAMFS_SOURCE) []
Optimize for size (CC_OPTIMIZE_FOR_SIZE) [Y/n/?] y
Disable heap randomization (COMPAT_BRK) [Y/n/?] y
Choose SLAB allocator
   1. SLAB (SLAB)
2. SLUB (Unqueued Allocator) (SLUB)
choice[1-2?]: 2
Profiling support (PROFILING) [Y/n/?] y
OProfile system profiling (OPROFILE) [M/n/y/?] m
   OProfile multiplexing support (EXPERIMENTAL) (OPROFILE_EVENT_MULTIPLEX)
[N/y/?] (NEW)