Hi,
I am not sure if this is the problem you are struggling with.
I am wondering why class module.bbclass behaves completely different
than kernel.bbclacc

 hi, I follow the kernel development manual "2.5. Incorporating
Out-of-Tree Modules",
 copy the "hello-mod_0.1.bb" and "files" folder into my taget layer
"meta-intel/meta-jasperforest/recipe-kernel", then add "MACHINE_EXTRA_
RDEPENDS += "kernel-module-hello" in the conf/local.conf
after build and boot, there's no "hello.ko" found in the binary image
 also there's no hello.ko in the "tmp/work/..." folder

If you hello-mod_0.1.bb inherits module class there is no mechanism
to create the kernel-module package. This only applies to the kernel.bbclass

http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/poky/tree/meta/classes/module.bbclass
http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/poky/tree/meta/classes/module-base.bbclass

Have a look at kernel.bbclass instead shows some pathon code which handles the module package creation:
http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/poky/tree/meta/classes/kernel.bbclass#n301

I've fixed this in my layer by stealing the code from kernel.bbclass
https://github.com/project-magpie/meta-stlinux/blob/master/recipes-bsp/tdt-driver/tdt-driver.inc

With this you can also use the following extends with your module:
module_autoload_aotom = "aotom"
and
module_conf_stmfb = "options stmfb display0=1280x720-32@50:8m:pal:yuv:yuv"

If you are only inherting from module this have not worked for me.

The next part I had to fight against was the fact that in core-image-minimal the package managment information are stripped and thus no pre hooks are executet. So the module is installed in the image but not loaded on boot-up unless you call update-modules by hand.

ROOTFS_POSTPROCESS_COMMAND += "remove_packaging_data_files ; "

To prevent this I've defined an image without the stripping:
https://github.com/project-magpie/meta-stlinux/blob/master/recipes-core/images/core-image-base.bb

I hope this clarify things a little bit

regards,
Christian

 Eddy

All,

There is a new YP manual under development. It is a development manual for Linux kernels in the YP. Darren Hart is the original author of the
manual as you probably know. It is still being worked on but it is in
HTML form and now part of the yocto-docs/master branch. It is
published at
http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/1.4/kernel-dev/kernel-dev.html [1].
Feel free to access it and comment.

Thanks,

Scott

Scott Rifenbark

Intel Corporation

Yocto Project Documentation

503.712.2702

503.341.0418 (cell)

Links:
------
[1] http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/1.4/kernel-dev/kernel-dev.html
[2] mailto:yocto@yoctoproject.org
Hi,

I am reposting this to the discussion list and copying Darren Hart.

Scott

FROM: Eddy Lai GMail [mailto:eddy.lai...@gmail.com]
 SENT: Monday, January 21, 2013 3:36 PM
 TO: Rifenbark, Scott M
 SUBJECT: Re: [yocto] YP Linux Kernel Development Manual

hi