On 1/23/13 10:56 AM, Burton, Ross wrote:
On 23 January 2013 16:51, Trevor Woerner <twoer...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 2:16 PM, Zhang, Jessica <jessica.zh...@intel.com> wrote:
According to bug 1614, the kernel dev packages should be
included in sdk images. Please generate your toolchain using
"bitbake core-image-sato-sdk -c populate_sdk" which will
make the toolchain target sysroot matching your image's
sysroot (this is a new feature of 1.3) as long as your image
is a sdk image.

I am a bit confused by the above email. To me it appears as if Jessica
is saying: "add '-c populate_sdk' to the build of an -sdk image".

But if we look at this email from Mark Hatle:
http://www.mail-archive.com/yocto@yoctoproject.org/msg10636.html

I get the impression that Mark is saying: "now that '-c populate_sdk'
is available, there no longer is any need for separate -sdk images".

Am I confusing two different things with each other?

My understanding was that populate_sdk will take the package set from
an image, add compilers and all development packages, and produce a
SDK.  So all you need is your production image, and then you can
generate a SDK from that.

That is correct. Just like everything else in OE, there are multiple ways to do things.

When it comes to the SDK there are two main ways, an SDK specific recipe, such as meta-toolchain, or use an existing image and produce an SDK for that image. The former is better for targeted SDKs that you want to allow something to produce software with a known set of limitations/capabilities. The later is useful when your SDK has to match the image -exactly-.

The kernel components/headers is a separate issue. The SDKs are currently configured to be focused on application development tasks. Jessica and I were talking this morning, and it may be possible to enable kernel module compilation as well -- but this isn't the existing use-case.

--Mark

Ross