On 13-03-15 07:36 AM, Hans Beckérus wrote:

On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 3:20 PM, Bruce Ashfield
<bruce.ashfi...@windriver.com <mailto:bruce.ashfi...@windriver.com>> wrote:

    On 13-03-15 06:33 AM, Hans Beckérus wrote:

        Hi. In an effort to shrink our rootfs by some major numbers we
        found two
        low-hanging fruits that we would like to address before cherry
        picking
        and removing lots of good linux functionality. We have no need
        for the
        uImage (3MB) stored in /boot and also we can leave out the
        terminfo tree
        (2.5MB).
        My question here now is if the build system provide functionality to
        actually tell the image builder not to include these specific
        components?

     From kernel.bbclass, you just need to clear RDEPENDS_kernel-base
    in your .conf files:

    # Allow machines to override this dependency if kernel image files are
    # not wanted in images as standard
    RDEPENDS_kernel-base ?= "kernel-image"

    You'll still get your kernel modules installed after making this change.

    Bruce

Thanks Bruce.How could I have missed that? I believe I scanned through
the kernel.bbclass for something like this.
Also got some good tip regarding /usr/share/terminfo? Guess I need to
figure out what package drags it in ;)

Not off the top of my head. Hopefully someone else with experience in
that area will notice the traffic and jump in :)

I'm fairly certain that is is controllable, since in the past, I've
known it to be removed and tuned for small systems, so it's not a
completely uncommon thing to do.

Cheers,

Bruce

Hans