On 2013-06-12 09:08, Nicolas Dechesne wrote:
hello,

i am creating a packagegroup to organize better my image/recipes. i am
doing something along these lines:

     DESCRIPTION = "My Custom Package Groups"

      inherit packagegroup

      PACKAGES = "\
          packagegroup-custom-apps \
          packagegroup-custom-tools \
          "

      RDEPENDS_packagegroup-custom-apps = "\
          dropbear \
          portmap \
          psplash"

      RDEPENDS_packagegroup-custom-tools = "\
          oprofile \
          oprofileui-server \
          lttng-control \
          lttng-viewer"

and in my imageA i am pulling *only* packagegroup-custom-tools with
IMAGE_INSTALL.

What I notice is that all packages listed in my packagegroup even the
ones from packagegroup-custom-apps which isn't pulled in my image are
built when building my image. Of course they are not installed, but
why are they built? it is wasting a large amount of time, while it's
not even needed. is that really expected or am i doing something wrong
here?

The problem is that bitbake runs recipes, not packages.  So in order to
get the package 'packagegroup-custom-tools', you have to build your main
recipe which will also build 'packagegroup-custom-apps'

I've run across this myself and what I did was to split my package groups
(then called tasks) into separate recipes.