On 13-06-28 09:22 AM, Rifenbark, Scott M wrote:
All I need is the name to make some initial changes.

Personally, I'm fine with 'meta-yocto-kernel'. Naming things is
never easy, so I won't agonize over whether or not an "extras"
should be on the end. But the name should be clear that it isn't
the main yocto kernel, it's just a few crappy bbappends that make
working with it locally easier for some :)

So my only counter proposal is: meta-yocto-kernel-extras

I'm going to de-crapify the bbappends so they are more useful, and
have started on that work, but haven't finished it yet.

Bruce

Scott

-----Original Message-----
From: Bruce Ashfield [mailto:bruce.ashfi...@windriver.com]
Sent: Friday, June 28, 2013 6:03 AM
To: Richard Purdie
Cc: Hart, Darren; yocto; Rifenbark, Scott M; Michael Halstead
Subject: Re: poky-extras

On 13-06-28 08:57 AM, Richard Purdie wrote:
On Fri, 2013-06-28 at 08:52 -0400, Bruce Ashfield wrote:
On 13-06-28 04:51 AM, Richard Purdie wrote:
Hi Bruce/Darren,

My attention was drawn to the existence of poky-extras. This was
really
a short term gap filling repository and I think the time has come to
remove it. There are basically two chunks of code in there.

The meta-linaro pieces in there haven't been touched in two years
and
are therefore dead. I think we should delete them to alleviate any
confusion.

The kernel pieces have been touched more recently. Some moved into
the
core, mostly its just example boiler plate type code now. I think
this
needs moving to a better named repository if its still
wanted/useful, or
we delete it. I personally don't have a strong preference.

Can someone take care of sorting this out?

I can take care of finding it a new home. I use the repo daily, and
keep
bumping it with examples with each new kernel update or release. I
was
working on some urlremapper code for the layer, to replace the old
boiler plate "uncomment this" examples that are current in the
recipes ..
that work has been backgrounded, but I can pick it up again as part
of relocating the changes.

I'm out of the office for the next week and a half, but can have a
look
after that. Does that timeframe work ?

Yes, its not urgent and I don't want to remove something people use. I
do think that this would better as a meta-yocto-kernel or something
similar. How about we simply rename it to that and delete meta-linaro
from it?

Agreed. That's an effective way to clarify what's left in the layer.
I'll take care of cleaning up the contents later.

If it's just the rename, I assume Michael can take care of it and
there's nothing immediate for me to do.

Cheers,

Bruce

Cheers,