On 3 Sep 2013, at 02:04, Elvis Dowson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Sep 3, 2013, at 3:29 AM, Christian Gagneraud <chg...@gna.org> wrote:
>
>>> Isn't RAID-5 going to be slower, especially if it's software? RAID 1
>>> is probably better as you'll potentially double the write speed to disk.
>>> I use a couple of Vertex SSDs in RAID 1 giving a theoretical write speed
>>> near to 1GBs. Write endurance is possibly a concern, but I've not had
>>> any issues using them on a local build machine. I would probably look at
>>> some higher end models if I was going to run a lot of builds. A lot less
>>> noise than hard drives ;-)
>>
>> Thanks for the info, i will have a look at RAID-1, as you can see, I know
>> absolutely nothing about RAID! ;)
>>
>> Does SSD really help with disk throughput? Then what's the point of using
>> ramdisk for TMPDIR/WORKDIR? If you "fully" work in RAM, the disk bottleneck
>> shouldn't be such a problem anymore (basically, on disk, you should only
>> have your yocto source tree and your download directory?).
>
> I use a Gigabyte Z77X-UP5TH motherboard
>
> http://www.gigabyte.us/press-center/news-page.aspx?nid=1166
>
> which has support for RAID in BIOS, at boot up, and Thunderbolt connected to
> an Apple 27" Thunderbolt display. I've got two SSDs in a RAID1 configuration
> (striped).
>
> If you can wait for some more time, they'll be releasing a version of the
> motherboard for the new haswell chips as well, but it's not probably going to
> increase performance.
>
> I use a 3770K i7 quad-core processor, 16GB RAM, with a liquid cooled solution
> running at 3.8GHz. I've overclocked the CPU to 4.5GHz, but I end up shaving
> only 2 minutes off build times, so I just run it at 3.8GHz.
>
> A core-image-minimal build takes around 22 minutes for me, for a Xilinx ZC702
> machine configuration (Dual ARM Cortex A9 processor + FPGA).

That's basically the spec I run (water cooling also keeps the noise down!). I
generally get build times of just over 50 minutes for my system which has 'X' /
GLES / Boost with something like 5500 tasks. Much better than the 10+ hours on
a VM on the 4 year old MacBook Pro!

> Here are the modifications that I've done to my system, to tweak SSD
> performance, for Ubuntu-12.10, for a RAID1 array.
>
> SSD performance tweaks (for non RAID0 arrays)
>
> Step 01.01: Modify /etc/fstab.
>
> $ sudo gedit /etc/fstab
>
> Increase the life of the SSD by reducing how much the OS writes to the disk.
> If you don't need to knowwhen each file or directory was last accessed, add
> the following two options to the /etc/fstab file:
>
> noatime, nodiratime
>
> To enable TRIM support to help manage disk performance over the long term,
> add the following option to the /etc/fstab file:
>
> discard
>
> The /etc/fstab file should look like this:
>
> # / was on /dev/sda1 during installation
> UUID=xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx /               ext4
> discard,noatime,nodiratime,errors=remount-ro 0       1
>
> Move /tmp to RAM
>
> # Move /tmp to RAM
> none            /tmp            tmpfs
> defaults,noatime,nodiratime,noexec,nodev,nosuid 0      0
>
> See: Guide software RAID/LVM TRIM support on Linux for more details.
>
> Step 01.02: Move the browser's cache to a tmpfs in RAM
>
> Launch firefox and type the following in the location bar:
>
> about:config
>
> Right click and enter a new preference configution by selecting the
> New->String option.
>
> Preference name:      browser.cache.disk.parent_directory
> string value:         /tmp/firefox-cache
>
> See: Running Ubuntu and other Linux flavors on an SSD « Brizoma.
>

> Best regards,
>
> Elvis Dowson

Chris Tapp

opensou...@keylevel.com